Childhaven Foster Parent Coordinator, Galadriel Currin, recently attended the Nurtured Heart Approach Certification Training in North Dakota. She is now a NHA Certified Trainer, and will be training Childhaven Foster Parents and staff in the approach to better support the needs of children in our community!
What is the Nurtured Heart Approach?
Nurtured Heart Approach® (NHA) is a curriculum for relationship. It supports adults in relating to children in ways that guide them to use
their intensity successfully and positively. Through the NHA, children come to see their intensity as fuel for greatness, not as a deficit or a handicap. Originally developed for working with the most challenging children, the NHA works to awaken the greatness inherent in all children. Rather than acting out negatively, children begin to act out their greatness – and adults get to experience the joy of being a highly effective agent of change in the lives of children.
Practical Results of NHA
- Increased parent effectiveness and satisfaction
- Improved teacher job satisfaction and retention
- Decreased incidence and severity of disruptive behavior
- Decreased school office referrals and expulsions
- Increased test scores and curriculum advancement
- Decreased disruption of foster care placements
- Progress in child social-emotional development
To learn more about the Nurtured Heart Approach and if it might be a good fit for you or someone you know, visit the website! You can also contact Galadriel Currin directly at (505)592-0650.